Since Kyushu University started the Double Degree Program (DDP) with Lund University, it has sent its students only to Water Resources Engineering, an international course for Building & Environmental Technology at Lund University. This is because the course has a similar course structure to the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering and the Department of Urban and Environmental Engineering (and part of the Department of Earth Resources Engineering) in the School of Engineering at Kyushu University. There has also been long-term research cooperation between Kyushu University and Lund University in the field, so that supervisors from both universities can work together closely.
If you wish to take other courses, please contact the International Relations Office, School of Engineering.
General Pattern for the Double Degree for Students from Kyushu University
Students wishing to undertake the DDP should notify their intention to apply to the faculty in charge of the DDP after consultation with their supervisor at Kyushu University. They should submit application materials to the Student Affairs Division of Engineering. At the same time, pre-registration on the web site designated by Lund University is required of their supervisor (usually by April 15). Registration on the web site designated by Lund University is required of the applicants who pass paper screening at Kyushu University (the first stage) (usually by April 25). Applicants will receive notification of results by email after screening at Lund University (the second stage).
Students (successful applicants) spend the first semester in the first year of the Master’s degree course at Kyushu University, and then they go to Lund University in time for the orientation held in late August. (Students who are required to take English preparation classes need to go to Lund University in the middle of August.)
After studying at Lund University for a minimum of three semesters (90ECTS-credits), students come back to Kyushu University to resume their study for a Master’s degree. *) They do not have to worry about timing of job hunting since they come back to Kyushu University in the second semester of the first year of the Master’s degree course. After having an interview for their Master’s thesis at Kyushu University, they have another interview at Lund University. When they pass the interviews and submit the thesis, they can receive Master’s degrees from both universities.
* Students must earn 90ECTS-credits (combining compulsory subjects and elective subjects) over the course of three semesters during their stay at Lund University. 30ECTS-credits (equivalent to 10 Japanese credits) earned at Lund University are transferrable to Kyushu University, and 10 Japanese credits (equivalent to 30ECTS-credits) earned at Kyushu University are transferrable to Lund University.
- Number of Applicants
Maximum of 3 per year
- Application Requirements
- Applicants must be enrolled in a Master’s degree course in the Graduate School of Engineering at Kyushu University.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent academic performance. (Paper screening and interviews will be conducted.)
- Applicants must have adequate English language skills to take classes at university overseas.
- Applicants must meet other requirements of the host university (Lund University).
- Application Period
From the beginning to the middle of April every year
Students should consult their supervisor before applying to the program.
- Application Materials
Please submit the following materials to the Student Affairs Division of Engineering (located on the 2nd floor of the West-4 building) at Kyushu University. Submissions by mail will not be accepted.
Pre-registration on the web site designated by Lund University is required of applicants’ supervisors by April 15.
- Double Degree Program Application Form (Please obtain an application form from the department office you belong to.)
- Reasons for Applying to the Double Degree Program (both in Japanese and English/1 page of A4 size paper)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (TOEFL iBT of minimum 79 or IELTS academic module of minimum 6.0 overall) **)
- Research and Education Plans (both in Japanese and English)
- Letter of Recommendation from Supervisor (both in Japanese and English)
**) If applicants do not have proof of English Language Proficiency or the required English language proficiency, they may be interviewed in English by Lund University via Skype or may be required to take English preparation classes before the program starts in September.
- First Stage
Selected through paper-screening at Kyushu University
- Second Stage
Registration on the web site designated by Lund University is required of the applicants who pass the paper screening (the first stage) by April 25.
Notification of results will be emailed to the applicants by Lund University.
- First Stage
Lund University has introduced a two-semester system. The academic year is divided into two semesters, and each semester is divided into two periods. Students have examinations when each period ends.
Summer holiday starts in June and ends in August. Students can travel around Europe during the long holiday.