Since Kyushu University started the Double Degree Program (DDP) with Lund University, it has accepted Lund University students only into the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering and the Department of Urban and Environmental Engineering. This is because these departments (and part of the Department of Earth Resources Engineering) have been working in similar research fields to Water Resources Engineering at Lund University. There has also been long-term research cooperation between Kyushu University and Lund University in this field, so that supervisors from both universities can work together closely. If you wish to enroll in other departments, please contact the International Relations Office, School of Engineering at Kyushu University.
- Department of Civil and Structural Engineering/ Department of Urban and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Earth Resources Engineering
General Pattern for the Double Degree for Students from Lund University
Students who are enrolled in Civilingenjörsutbildring (Master of Science in Engineering Program) and have completed a minimum of 3.75 years of study at Lund University are eligible to undertake the DDP at Kyushu University. The students spend three or four semesters at Kyushu University starting on April 1 or October 1. During this period, the students must earn 30 Japanese credits. 30ECTS-credits (equivalent to 10 Japanese credits) earned at Lund University are transferrable to Kyushu University. Credits earned at Kyushu University can be transferred to Lund University up to 75ECTS-credits on a case-by-case basis. A Master’s thesis (30ECTS-credits) must be written in English including a summary in both Swedish and English, which should be overseen by their supervisors at both universities. After earning the required credits and completing the thesis, students must have interviews at both universities. The students will receive the Master’s degrees of both universities when they pass the interviews.
- Number of Applicants
Maximum of 3 per year
- Application Requirements
- Applicants must be enrolled in Civilingenjörsutbildring (Master of Science in Engineering Program) and have completed a minimum of 3.75 years of study at Lund University.
- Applicants must demonstrate excellent academic performance.
- Applicants must meet other requirements of the host university (Kyushu University).
- Application Period *
For spring enrollment: early January
For fall enrollment: mid-April
* For details, please contact the International Relations Office, School of Engineering at Kyushu University.
- Application Materials
Please submit the following materials (written in English) to the International Office of Engineering at Lund University.
- Double Degree Program Application Form (Please obtain an application form from the International Office of Engineering at Lund University.)
- Reasons for Applying to the Double Degree Program (1 page of A4 size paper)
- Research and Education Plans (include any research already conducted, and research plans for Kyushu University and, if relevant, any future research plans upon return to Lund University – 1 page of A4 size paper)
- Letter of Recommendation from Supervisor (If you do not have a supervisor then from the department chair.)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (such as TOEFL score or IELTS score)*)
*) Not required, but attach if possible.
- First Stage
Lund University will evaluate the applications and recommend applicants to the Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University.
- Second Stage
The Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University will select applicants based on application materials and (if necessary) teleconference interviews. Screening of applicants will be completed by the second stage.
- First Stage
Kyushu University will send notification of results along with a Letter of Acceptance through the International Office of Lund University to the applicants.
- Student Visa Application
Successful applicants will receive a Letter of Acceptance from Kyushu University along with a Certificate of Eligibility Application (for visa application) and a housing application.
Please apply for your visa at least one month prior to your arrival in Japan. You need to receive the Certificate of Eligibility in order to apply for your visa at the nearest Japanese Consulate.
[Kyushu University Friendship Scholarship]
Kyushu University offers a scholarship to undergraduate or graduate students enrolled in a non-Japanese university that is recognized as a leading university in that country and has been producing graduates playing an active part as leaders within every sector of society.
Lund University students can apply for the Kyushu University Friendship.
* Kyushu University will introduce a quarter system in April 2019, in which a semester is divided into two terms.